Neegan Burnside Ltd., a separate firm integrated with Burnside, was established in 2000 as a majority Indigenous-owned engineering and environmental consulting firm committed to directly serving Indigenous clients and their communities, building on the work that Burnside had started.
In addition to Neegan Burnside’s work, many Burnside projects have Indigenous consultation, engagement, and facilitation components, and our team members work hard to ensure that Indigenous culture, priorities, values, and beliefs are heard and respected throughout each stage of our work. Our staff have engaged numerous Indigenous communities in support of municipal or private sector Burnside projects, and we fully respect and appreciate the importance and needs of these communities.
Burnside team members who have supported projects with an Indigenous consultation component include:
- Deanna De Forest
- Jamie Hollingsworth
- Tricia Radburn
- Philip Rowe
- Jennifer Vandermeer
- Comprehensive consultation, engagement, and facilitation services for Indigenous communities to ensure that their concerns are heard, understood, respected, recorded, and incorporated into the project solution
- Development and provision of a framework to municipal and private clients on how best to engage with Indigenous communities
- Provision of technical resources, meaningful partnership, and capacity alongside Neegan Burnside and their Indigenous clients in the completion of their projects
Recent projects having a strong Indigenous consultation component have included:
- County of Brant – Landfill expansion Environmental Assessment
- Town of Halton Hills – Eighth Line Environmental Assessment
- Town of St. Marys – Landfill expansion Environmental Assessment